Soft Window Treatments
Most soft alternative window treatments do not require frequent cleaning.
- Dusting: A light dusting with a vacuum cleaner brush attachment on a regular basis will keep them looking new for years.
- Vacuuming: For deeper cleaning, vacuum gently with a brush attachment of any vacuum cleaner. Most products may be vacuumed using a vertical stroke. However, do not use a brush attachment with Hunter Douglas Luminette® Privacy Sheers.
- Spot Cleaning: Spot-clean shades and blinds with a soft cloth or sponge moistened with lukewarm water. Add mild detergent if needed. Blot gently to avoid creasing or damaging the fabric. Rubbing can damage fabrics. Spot cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
Stain-Finished Wood Blinds
Water may damage the surface, so use lemon oil or wood preservative to clean. Clean using a dry and soft feather duster, clean cloth, dust cloth or dusting mitt. A vacuum with the soft brush attachment can also be used. Ultrasonic cleaning or use of chemical solvents and scrubbing cleansers are not recommended, as they will damage the product. Protect all fine wood products from exposure to steam or high-moisture areas, rain or outside irrigation systems to ensure their long life.
When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the wood finish by splattering cleaner.
Faux Wood or Vinyl Products
Do not use abrasive cleaners or chemical solvents, as they will scratch or damage the surface. To reduce static cling and help repel dust, wipe the product with a dryer sheet.
Aluminum Horizontal Blinds
Use an over-the-counter blind cleaner with a soft cloth.
Vinyl and Aluminum Vertical Blinds
Reduce build-up of static electricity by applying a very thin film of detergent on all slats and vanes.
- Bathtub Cleaning/Water Immersion: This method is only recommended for some window coverings. Please consult with your Window Fashion Specialist before using this method.
- Immerse entire shade assembly in lukewarm water with mild detergent. Wash for five minutes by gently moving liquid around with your fingers. Important! Do not immerse headrail systems in water.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Close shade before removing from rinse water.
- Hold rails and tilt shade to allow excess water to drip off.
- Re-install damp shade into window opening.
- Lower shade all the way to allow it to dry completely.
- Ultrasonic Cleaning: Professional ultrasonic cleaning is recommended for several products. Please consult your Window Fashion Specialist before using this method.
- On-Site Injection and Extraction Cleaning System: This type of cleaning injects a cleaning solution into the fabric and extracts the dirty solution in the same motion. It is a very effective way to deep clean your window treatments and should only be done by trained professionals. The service is typically performed in the home so there is no need to remove the window treatments.
Information provided by HunterDouglas.